NEW UNIONIZATION PROGRAM LAUNCHED

College and Waitresses Have Reached No Agreement on Closed Shop Issue; Vote Wednesday

Renewed concentration by the Building Service Union in their three-weeks-old drive to organize maintenance employees is now under way after a short period of inactivity over the holiday season, according to Robert H. Everitt, director of the drive.

Boasting that 80 percent of University cooks and waiters are now regular members of A. F. of L. locals 186 and 112, labor leaders admit, however, that they have been unable to reach an agreement with College authorities on either a closed or a preferential shop.

Demonstration Soon

Preparations are now under way for a mass meeting of all service help in Cypress Hall.

Concerning success of the drive in its embyronic stage, Everitt said that in the Building Service unit of widespread A. F. of L. agitation a "substantial membership" of a few hundred maids has already been recruited from Harvard ranks.

Waitresses Vote Wednesday

In the meantime the waitresses have forged ahead in their own campaign and will vote on the reports of their representative, Joseph Stefani at a meeting Wednesday. Still confident that a signed agreement would climax labor activity in the dining halls, leaders said that would make "another try" to gain recognition before releasing statements.

Although among cooks and waitresses 80 percent is considered a powerful enough majority to substantiate their present gains, authorities from local 112 indicated that the drive would not cease until employees were represented 100 percent.