Varsity Soccer Eleven Triumphs Over Tufts, 5-0, in Opening New England League Game---Hardenberg Excels for Crimson

Harvard in Fine Form; Mendel, Witkins, Page, Hardenberg And Jacobson Score

The Varsity Soccer team opened its 1938 season in fine manner Saturday when it blanked the Tufts eleven 5 to 0 on the soccer field behind the Business School. The first of the New England Soccer League games done away with, Coach Carr expressed satisfaction that his team could win the, League trophy this fall.

Harvard has supreme over Tufts all the way. The Crimson played a better combination game from start to finish, with the forwards and halfbacks showing real understanding. Hardenberg, left half-back and a former Cambridge University player, excelled for the Crimson, and one of the tallies was his.

Mendel Scores

Tufts held the game scoreless in the first period. Howard Mendel turned the tide soon after the start of the second quarter with a rocket from the wing. Witkins placed the second goal, In the third quarter, a neatly executed pass by Edgar resulted in Page relaying the ball past Breen for Harvard's third goal.

Hardenberg brought home the fourth point when he kicked one from the 45-yard mark, the ball beating Breen all the way. Tufts' Kazeniac bounced one off goalie Williams, and following some midfield play, Jacobson scored Harvard's last goal.

Breen, at goal, was the star for Tufts, but, nevertheless, he let pass five tallies.

The summary.