MATHER MAKES FUN OF EINSTEIN "RED" CHARGE

UNIVERSITIES NOT HOTBEDS OF ISMS, GEOLOGIST SAYS

Replying to charges in the local press that universities were "hotbeds of Communism" and that by implication, through his support of Loyalist Spain, he himself was a Communist, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, last night branded these statements as "the universal trick of all people trying to sway public opinion."

The occasion for Mather's statement was the charge by Walter S. Reynolds, Michigan Legionnaire, before the Dies committee that Professor Albert Einstein was "an active supporter of the Communist party" because he supported the Spanish Loyalists. Reynolds lumped Einstein with John L. Lewis, Harry Bridges and David Dubinsky.

Mather last night ridiculed the charges "hurled" at Einstein and defended universities as "hotbeds of intellectual adventure" rather than of Communism, in a statement to the "Record."

"His (Reynolds) reaction is the usual one for a person who confuses liberal attitudes toward current political and economic affairs with a Communist attitude," he said. "There is of course no basis for the statement Dr. Einstein is a Communist, nor is there any foundation for the claim universities are hotbeds of communism."