ELECT ELIOT

When the voters of the ninth congressional district choose between Tom Eliot and Robert Luce, they will have an opportunity to elect an intelligent representative in place of a useless relic. Luce has refused to do anything about evils which both parties have jointly condemned. Eliot has worked to solve these problems in a way that has won the support of Republicans as well as Democrats. Luce, blinded to the needs of his own district, allowed his unreasoning hostility to the administration to spill over in opposition to such a popular measure as the Wages and Hours Bill. Eliot will further the interests of his constituents instead of opposing them.

Luce's reactionary attitude has placed him far to the right of the majority of his own party. And fearing that he will be deserted by Republicans who are trying to liberalize the G.O.P., Luce tried to seduce them back into the fold by raising the cry of "rubber stamp" against Eliot. But the Democrats who turn out to be rubber stamps are unknowns swept into office on a landslide, tyros who possess no knowledge about government, and who naturally therefore think that the best way to stay in office is to cling fast to the President's coat tails, Eliot, however, is widely known for his work in drafting and defending the Social Security Act. If he is elected, it will be for the experience he has acquired, the ability he has demonstrated, and the intelligent independence which such a background makes inevitable. Eliot has not made his reputation by being a rubber stamp and it is incredible that he should in the future adopt the servile attitude which he has always scorned.

The Republican party has lost effectiveness because it has made the people believe that it is completely unresponsive to the problems which today plague millions. If it is ever to destroy that impression, the party must be rescued from the grip of hundred per cent "nay" voters like Luce. Republicans of this district can render a great service to their party, their district, and their country by electing to Congress a man like Eliot whose attitude permits him to grapple with the problems we all face, and whose ability gives some promise of a successful solution.