DEACON-WINTHROP TIE KNOTS GRID STANDING

HAFF SNARES LONG PASS WITH ONE HAND FOR ELIOT

In what was to have been the Battle of the Century, the Kirkland and Winthrop football teams deadlocked 0-0 yesterday on Soldiers Field in a sloppily played contest, leaving both elevens tied for the House grid lead at the end of the dismal struggle. Eliot scored its first touchdown of the season in the other contest, only to be nosed out by Dudley 12-6.

The Kirkland-Winthrop clash was characterized chiefly by fumbles, largely due to the unusually cold weather. Winthrop began in good style when Ham Smith, Puritan center, fell on a bobbled Deacon punt in the first quarter.

Winthrop then went down to Kirkland's 15-yard line, which was the nearest either team came to scoring. The Puritan backfield at this point began knocking each other down on attempted spinner plays, thus stalling the attack.

Kirkland was slow in getting its running attack started, with Winthrop guards Sam Binnian and Dick Eustis blotting out several Deacon line plays. In the last quarter the Deacons made ground when Don McSweeney traveled the ends for good gains.

Captain Bob Prario made an 80 yard run for Eliot to set up the first Elephant score which he counted himself a few plays later. Joe Kaufman made an 80 yard run for Dudley, paving the way for the first of two Commuter touchdowns.

Outstanding play of the game came in the third period when Ed Haff, Eliot end, made a one-handed catch of a 30-yard pass.