MATTHEWS TALKS OF CHRIST AS A LEADER

Says Chamberlain a Patron of Christ While Dietators Follow Nietzohe, Christianity's Worst Enemy

Conspicuously avoiding a discussion of controversial theological issues in his treatment of the subject "Christ As Leader And Lord." Dean Walter R. Matthews, of St. Paul's London, delivered the third of a series of William Beldon Noble Foundation lectures last night in the Memorial Chapel. Only a short portion of his talk was devoted to the Trinity, emphasis being placed on a choice which dean Matthews defined as between two conceptions of the leader.

"The most important enemy of Christianity today is the German philosopher Friedrich Nictzche," Dean Matthews declared in this connection. "The hero which he presented--the embodiment of the urge for demination, the wordly super-man--is the true anti-Christ of our day. The masses, even in a democracy, must have not only an idea, but that idea embodied in a person; and the choice, is between the Niotzche hero and Christ, who rejects earthly power, preaching service and humility."

Chamberlain Follows Christ

"The clash of these two ideals was strikingly symbolized in the recent international crisis," the Dean of St. Paul's continued. "Whereas the dictators were completely preoccupied with becoming heroes through domination, Chamberlain was motivated by a desire for service and international fellowship."

In conclusion, Dean Matthews did examine what he called the paradox of the World made flesh,--of God dwelling among men. "How God could become man has always been a baffling mystery," he said. "But the paradox is not so very unreasonable. The way God reveals himself is through human personalities; the Word has over come through inspired persons. So it was that the Word in its complete sense came in a human, personal, life, through a man in complete harmony with God. We must accept the incarnation of the second person of the Trinity; when we do it crystallizes our lives, gives them a center from which to work, brings order from which to work, brings order out of confusion."

Dean Matthews will deliver the fourth in his series of lectures tonight on the subject. "The Christian Plan For Human Living."