Giedion---

your country today's problems are farther developed--especially human regeneration. Look at Chicago's parks and their baths for children! Look at Carrel's book ('Man the Unknown'), which has had a wide influence in Europe.

"I like the beginnings of American architecture, how and why colonial houses have changed, and the bridge between your pure and modern or Frank Lloyd Wright style. Wright, by the way, is another great American influence in Europe."

Speaking of his Norton lectures, the first of which will be given tonight in the Fogg at 8:30 o'clock, the genial Giedion said: "They try to make a bridge between history and contemporary times, showing how history is dynamic, not day to day. We have no respect for our own tradition. Cultural life today is a unity, although every country has her own tasks to fulfill. We need to have the courage to become conscious of ourselves; then we are able to form a tradition, necessary for every epoch. The most important thing is for those who govern to know what is happening, for them to see the unity of the past and future--the others will see it through them. We need a nucleus of the intellectual and spiritual elite. If we can produce this at Harvard, for instance, we can help to produce a unified, conscious culture."