EDWIN HERBERT HALL

That teaching and research are not necessarily antagonistic was impressively demonstrated by the life and career of Professor Edwin Herbert Hall. While exhibiting in neither field the flashy brilliance which attracts the plaudits of the mob, he nevertheless presented a solid balance of both which could well be set up as a high goal by the younger teachers and instructors of today.

By his research in electro-magnetic phenomena, which resulted in the discovery of the Hall effect, he won the acknowledgment and deference of the whole scientific world. He held this respect throughout his long life-time by his unceasing laboratory work, continued almost up to the day of his death. And by his honest and conscientious devotion to his teaching, he won the affection of several generations of Harvard students. His interests in general educational methods impelled him to sit on many faculty committees. His responsibility for the introduction of the laboratory procedure into secondary schools earned for him the American Association of Physics Teachers' award for the highest contribution made by a physics teacher.

He was unusual for the breadth of his interests: he was an example of the many-sided man who is becoming all too rare in this day of narrowness and specialization. Keenly absorbed by athletics, he served for many years on the Harvard Athletic Committee. His interest in community affairs, and his willingness to lead and take action in such matters which are often hampered by mass inertia, was outstanding. Although past 70 at the time, he was the first man to volunteer as a policeman in the Boston Police Strike. He played an instrumental part in the organization of the Cambridge municipal golf club. If all Harvard entertained such a sympathetic attitude toward the outside world, there would be no town-gown problem.

For over forty years, he lived and moved as a vital part of the Harvard community, impressing students and colleagues alike by his ability, his sincerity and his humanity. All Harvard will today mourn his passing.