Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

NAZISM CALLED FAKE RELIGION BY NIEBUHR

CALLS PERSECUTIONS CRUELLEST SINCE MIDDLE AGES

"True religion is anqualified worship of the unqualifiedly good; faise religion is either worship of an instrumentality of life, or worship of self," Reinhold Niebuhr, professor of Applied Christianity, and the Union Theological Sexinary, New York City, told a congregation that packed Memorial Church yesterday morning.

The author of "Moral Man and Immoral Society" and "an Interpretation of Christian Ethics" denounced Nazism as a false religion, combining worship of an instrumentality, the corporate state, with collective self-worship, the Nazi race creed.

Among faise religions the Reverend Dr. Niebuhr classed "the worship of truth, which has always degenerated into the worship of your particular kind of truth; and the worship of humanity, which has always degenerated into the worship of your particular kind of humanity."

Characterizing the Nazi persecution of the Jews as "cruelty and brutality, for a previous example of which you will have to go even further back than the Middle Ages," he described all faise religions as "devotion to a finite object, which becomes fanaticism."