COMMITTEE FORMS TWO PLAN SYSTEM FOR BLISS PRIZES

$100 Prize Will Be Given to Winner In Each Class -- Honorable Mention To Excellent Papers

Next fall the second annual examination for the William H. Bliss prize in American History for undergraduates will be held under two plans, it was announced today by the Committee on Extra-Curricular Reading of American History.

Prizes will be awarded for both Plan I and Plan II. The examination as conducted under Plan I will be the same as that given in the fall of last year. This will consist of a three-hour written examination on the books listed under Plan I of the pamphlet entitled "Harvard Reading List in American History."

Rules of Examination Given

The student who, in the judgment of the committee, writes the best examination will receive a prize of $100. There will also be honorable mention of other excellent papers not winning the prize.

Under Plan II, the examination is somewhat more complex. It will be held under the following rules:

1. All Harvard undergraduates are eligible for his examination except those concentrating in American History or in American Literature or those credited with a total of more than a course and a half in the fields of American History and American Literature including courses which are being taken at the time of the examination.

2. The work of the examination for Plan II will consist of one, two or three essays on topics of the student's own choosing. The examination period of three hours is to be divided among these topics as the student wishes. The student will be expected to show in his examination paper knowledge of the books he has read from the list for Plan II. One essay may be a critical book review. At the head of his paper, however, he shall list the courses in American History and in American Literature which he has taken or is taking.

3. In determining the winner of prizes and of honorable mention as well as those who "pass" the examination the committee shall be governed by these considerations:

(a) The suitability of the topic, considered in relation to the reading list and to the conditions under which the essay is written.

(b) The soundness and knowledge of material.