Rene Peroy Willing to Fence All-Comers Despite 53 Years

University Sword Coach Is Still Able to Outpoint Leading U. S. Amateurs

Despite his 53 years, Rene Peroy, University fencing coach, is willing today to cross swords with any foilsman of the world. In perfect condition due to strict training, Percy is still able to subdue the top Amateurs of this country and is confident of his success with foreign fencers.

Before coming to coach at Harvard nine years ago, Peroy was one of the highest ranking non-professionals in the United States. Unable to accept an invitation to the 1924 Olympics, Percy did compete as the number two man in 1928. At this time he defeated the French national foils champion.

Since becoming a professional, after taking up the coaching duties here, Percy has taught successfully and outpointed such ranking swordsmen as Bill Pecora, John Hurd, and Joe Levis. The latter fought for the United States in the Olympics of 1928, 1932, and 1936 and at present is listed as the top amateur of the country.

A native of France, the Crimson coach, who still talks with a slight accent related yesterday how he won his first competition 40 years ago in Paris. Coming to this country in 1909, he worked in New York, fencing on the side for the N. Y. Amateur Fencing Club.

Won Novice Through Senior In Year

While in New York, Peroy won all the classes of fencing from Novice through Senior in a single year. At the same time he was employed all day in an office. In his own words, "its pretty hard to keep a position and training too."

During his nine years at Harvard, his Varsity teams have won 50 matches against 13 defeats. In the two seasons 1934 and 1935, the Epee team twice won the Intercollegiate championship, while Hurd, who had never held a foil before college, placed first in the championship match with that weapon, and later went to the Olympics in 1936.

In showing the necessity for training, Peroy pointed out that he never smokes and that his physical trim is evidenced when he fences Levis and Pecora, who smoke but are 20 years younger.