SKI CHASE

Although for a number of years people have been waiting for the storm of skiing to blow itself out, that sport has upset the dope by becoming more and more popular despite every trick of the weather. New with the announcement that Norwood Cox will give expert instruction over the coming weekends to anyone at Harvard who joins the squad, skiing is already showing sings of struggling to its feet as a recognized Harvard sport.

Anyone who has watched the magnificent swish of a sharp christie should not stay at home, eyeing the toe straps on a pair of his father's dusty skies. The snow trains and inexpensive cottages have made a healthy weekend practical. There are a great many potential fans who are dubious about skiing because they do not know how to get started, but a Harvard school for beginning, intermediate and advanced stages should give them just the incentive they need. And then the over-confident old hands may stop awhile and learn some fundamentals, instead of schussing down a trial that is much too steep for them.

Now that an informal squad is being organized, there rises the question whether skiing should continue to exist as a sport supported and performed by individuals or whether there should be a college squad. So far, the University has done everything but give financial support. As long as it remains up to the individuals what they do when they ski, Harvard will never place as high in a meet as they would if the skiers felt that they owed it to the college to practice rather then merely to ski. This new attitude would produce general improvement. Surely, it would not be asking too much to have a doctor provided by the Athletic Association for the big meets of the year, and possibly to secure a coach of its own by diverting some of the funds from a less popular minor sport. Skiing is going through the trouble-some early stages at Harvard, but right now all signs indicate that in a few years running on waxed boards may become the favorite pastime during the winter.