BACKFIELD COACH GOES TO PENNSYLVANIA WITH LINE COACH CROWTHER

JOHN WOOD UP FROM ASSISTANT POST TO REPLACE HIM

Howard Odell, backfield coach, has decided to follow Rae Crowther to Pennsylvania, it was revealed the other day when the complete coaching line-up for next year was released by the Athletic Association.

The appointment of the second Harvard coach lent credence to reports that Pennsylvania is more than a little anxious to take the game with Harvard in a couple of years

It is pretty well known that Odell has received a number of offers from other colleges. At one time it was reported that he was being advocated as head coach at Boston College when Gil Dobie was being panned. He is admittedly one of the best backfield coaches in the East.

Odell's place is to be taken by Johnny Wood, who was assistant backfield coach during the last season.

The coaching staff as it lines up now is: Harlow, head coach; John L. Wood, backfield, coach; Wesley Fesler, end coach. Junior Varsity: Henry Lamar, head coach; Maurice Liston, line coach; George Hedblom, backfield coach. Freshmen: J. Neil Stahley; head coach; T. Latta McCray, line coach; Roy E. Tilles, end coach. There is still to be an appointment of an assistant backfield coach.

In praising Wood, who received his football training at Pittsburgh, like Odell, Dick Harlow said, "Johnny has had one full season with us and I believe he will step into Odell's shoos perfectly. I consider it fortunate for us that he was available. Otherwise, replacing Howdy might have been difficult."

Referring to the loss of Odell and Crowther, he said. "It is only natural that assistant coaches should be desirous of bettering themselves whenever possible and we must consider it a good sign here at Harvard when our assistants are in demand by other colleges."

Although nothing has been said about it publicly, it was known to those intimately familiar with Harvard football, that Harlow had developed a peculiar offensive play, and that it was practically unstoppable by any known defense when each man fulfilled his assignment perfectly. It will presumably he carried to Pennsylvania, and Harlow will have the problem of developing a defense for it now.