Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Music Box

IN RE PAUL HINDEMITH

Paul Hindemith, Eminent German composer, will be the guest artist at the Boston Symphony concert this evening. In his first appearance with this orchestra, he will perform the solo part in his Concerto for viola and Chamber Orchestra, known as the "Kammermusik" No 5.

Hindemith is very fond of the strings. Having been a viola player for years, with many concert appearances as soloist and as a member of the Amar String Quartet of which he was a co-founder, he has written several concertos for the instrument of his choice. And his composition for unaccompanied cello demonstrates a comprehensive if weird understanding of this medium.

But Hindemith's ability is not confined to instrumental music. His "Das Neue Werk," now being prepared for performance by the Glee Club and the Radcliffe Choral Society, is a masterpiece of contrapuntal writing with a purity of line that is a blessed relief after the saccharine style of much nineteenth century choral writing. Despite its bizarre harmonies, this composition reminds one in certain of its features of fifteenth and sixteenth century religious works.

Dr. Koussevitzky will open the program tonight with Hindemith's Concerto for String and Brass instruments, which the composer wrote especially for the 50th anniversary of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and which was first played here in 1931.