PUBLIC SERVICE

With less build-up and ballyhoo than attends the opening of a third-rate motion picture, there started at the beginning of the term a series of twelve lectures of vital interest to all who appreciate the personal and social blessings of good health. Organized by Dr. Charles F. McKhann, the free, public addresses held at the Medical School every Sunday afternoon have already benefitted hundreds of men and women who weekly pack the School's largest amphitheatre, and have enlightened thousands of others through the medium of the daily press.

In a society almost totally governed by the law of the quid pro quo, it is gratifying to see men going out of their way to serve the public interest without hope of reward. It has meant a great deal of work on the part of Dr. McKhann and the other doctors whom he has persuaded to speak. It is not easy for a specialist to make himself clear to a lay audience, let alone make himself popular. It has called for laborious preparation as well as the sacrifice of a Sunday afternoon. Yet the success of the series is obvious from the number of late-comers who have to be turned away for want of space.

Dealing with practical health problems, the speakers endeavor to tell their listeners just what the symptoms of disease may be, and just what steps should be taken to check and cure it. Such instruction is the highest kind of public service, and we are proud that Dr. McKhann and his associates are connected with the University, and through the University are discharging its civic obligations.