Fencers Hopefully Face Favored Eli Swordsmen in Last Meet Here Today

Three Wins, Two Losses Record For Inexperienced Local Aggregation

With a record of three victories and two defeats, an inexperienced Varsity fencing team will today close their season with Yale at the Indoor Athletic Building at 4:30 o'clock following a Yardling match with the Elis at 2:30.

To date the Varsity has won over Brown, Tech, and Bowdoin by substantial margins, while dropping encounters with the Hartford Fencers' Club and Columbia.

Columbia Meet Close

Although the swordsmen finished a wretched fifth at the Pentagonal, the added experience in competing with these veteran fencers enabled them to hold the crack Columbia team to a 14-13 verdict.

The nine-man Crimson aggregation is composed of six Sophomores who have faced Varsity competition before this year, and three Juniors. Academic difficulties have deprived the squad of two of its best men, a Senior, Ed Skinner, and the Sophomore, Bob Miller.

Without these two men lost, the Crimson has no individual stars. There are nine good fencers, better than average, and no poor sword wielders.

Three Eli Stars

On the other hand the Yale team boasts three top-rank fencers headed by Maurice Crasson, son of the Yale coach. The other members of the Blue squads have been unimpressive in matches to date.

Although the Elis placed second at the Pentagonal Meet, three grades above the Crimson, Coach Poroy's men are not discouraged about today's results. Their promising showing at Columbia, along with the fact that they defeated the Elis in the Epee at Princeton are encouraging omens for today.

Starting for the Crimson in the Epee this afternoon will be Hal Park, Bill Croach, and Jerry Dodge, with Les Miller a possible entry. Of the trio, Park is rated tops.

Led by the Junior, Scott Long, the other foil wielders are Crannie Jones and Al Labastie, a pair of Sophomores, who last year were instrumental in beating the Eli cubs.

Captain Doyle in Sabre

Captain Joe Doyle, Cal Williams, and Skip Batchelder are slated as the Sabre men who will face Yale. Because of improvement this season, Williams ranks almost on a par with the captain, Doyle, in this weapon.

Preliminary to the Varsity meet, the undefeated Yardling fencers will engage the Eli Freshmen, who have fared badly this year. The only close match for the Crimson was with Worcester Academy, who tied them.