Littauer School's Cornerstone Laid Early Next Week

Within Year Building Will Stand On the Site of Hemenway; To Be of Granite

With the laying of the cement foundations early next week, actual construction work on the new Littauer School of Public Administration building will officially begin.

22 Feet Down

Originally planned for the end of this week, the work has been held up because of the rain, which has filled the excavation pit with water, necessitating electric pumps to empty it. The foundations when built will go down 22 feet below the surface, which is an unusual depth for a building of this type. This is due to the fact that the basement will contain two floors of book-stacks.

The School is to be erected at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Kirkland Street on the site of the old Hemenway Gym, torn down last fail.

Non-Brick Building

The style of the building is to be strictly classical, rectangular in design, and with four stories and Corinthian pilasters on the facade. The structure is to be built of granite, which was chosen for its extreme durability. Except for University Hall, this will be the only building in which red brick has not been the structural material.

Between 80 and 90 men, exclusive of surveyors, carpenters and special tradesmen, have been working on the excavation. Under favorable circumstances, the building should be finished by the end of this calendar year, thus allowing for the proposed opening of the School in February of 1939.