WHITNEY REMAINS AS AN ECONOMICS SUPERVISOR HERE

Lippmann, Economics Group Chairman, Has No Statement on Broker's Status Till After Trial

No immediate University action is contemplated in regard to the membership of Richard Whitney '10 on the Overseers' Visiting Committee on Economics, it was authoritatively learned yesterday. If the University should decide after Whitney's trial to ask his resignation, it will be the first time that a member of a Visiting Committee has been expelled.

Walter Lippmann '10, chairman of the Economics' Visiting Committee, declared yesterday that he had no statement to make concerning Whitney's status, at least until the conclusion of the trial.

Not at Meetings Here

The last meeting of the Committee here was six weeks ago, at which time Whitney was not present. In fact, he has not appeared in Cambridge on Committee work at all this year.

Appointments to the Visiting Committees are made annually by the executive committee of the Overseers upon the recommendation of the heads of the departments and the Visiting Committee chairman. At present, Harold H. Burbank, head of the department of Economics, is contacting members of his department of obtain suggestions for membership to the Visiting Committee.

Oversears Have Final Approval

Final approval of next year's Visiting Committees rests with the Overseers. Formerly they have performed this function at their annual meeting in October, but this year a new plan may go into effect whereby the Overseers will have their meeting for this purpose at Commencement.

Other members of the Economics' Visiting Committee, beside Lippmann and Whitney, are Winthrop W. Aldrich '07, Albert F. Bigelow '03, Roger S. Baldwin, Barklie Henry, Christian A. Herter '15, Alvin S. Johnson, Joseph P. Kennedy '12, George O. May, Charles M. Storey '12, John G. Winant, and Orrin G. Wood '09.

(Copyright 1938)