Five of Nine Fellowship Holders Are Editorial Writers; Majority, Baffled by Government, Choose Social Sciences

Chiefly from Eastern and Southern newspapers, the nine winners of the Nieman Fellowships have specialized in a wide variety of journalistic work and will for the most part study social sciences here. Following are the recipients of the scholarships:

Edwin A. Lahey, 36, reporter for the Chicago Daily News. A graduate of the University of Chicago, he has specialized in labor coverage.

Frank S. Hopkins, 30, reporter for the Baltimore Sun. He holds degrees from Willam and Mary and Columbia, and is interested in federal, state, and local agencies of public welfare and relief.

Osburn Zuber, 34, chief editorial writer on the Birmingham (Alabama) News, has studied at the Birmingham-Southern College and has been in Newspaper work for 15 years.

Irving Dillard, 33, editorial writer on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, received an A.B. degree from Illinois and has done graduate work at Harvard. For 9 years he has specialized in social investigation.

Louis M. Lyons, 40, reporter on the Boston Globe, received a B.Sc. from the Massachusetts Agricultural College. He has writen news and special articles for 16 years.

John McL. Clark, 27, editorial writer on the Washington Post. A graduate of Dartmouth he has specialized in Latin-American affairs.

Hilary H. Lyons, Jr., 29, chief editorial writer on the Moblie (Alabama) Press Register. He has studied at Columbia and has concentrated on Southern agricultural and industrial problems.

E. Wesley Fuller, Jr., '33, 25, reporter on the Boston Herald, has specialized in reporting scientific developments in University laboratories.

Edwin J. Paxton, Jr., 25, chief editorial writer and associate editor of the Paducah (Kentucky) Sun-Democrat. Formerly a student at the University of Miami, he will concentrate in social sciences for further editorial training.