AMERICAS' SOLIDARITY BOOSTED BY ALFARO

EX-PRESIDENT OF PANAMA URGES COVENANTS

Need for closer political cooperation in the Western Hemisphere was stressed by Dr. Ricarde J. Alfaro in his lecture last night in Emerson D on "The Significance of Solidarity of the Americas." This was the last of a series of 3 on "Present-Day Problems of Pan-Americanism."

Alfaro described Pan-Americanism as a peculiar sentiment of solidarity which has existed from the beginning of our international life and has survived through, and in spite of many disturbing events in the American republics.

The organization of an American League of Nations and the continentalization of the Monroe Doctrine are the two factors which Alfaro sees as crystallizing and perpetuating the geographical and sentimental ties of American states.

Tracing the history of "league" thought, Alfaro felt that rather than having an American league invested with political power which has proved to be such a failure in the League of Nations, it would be better to continue with the Pan American Union and confine political relationships to covenants tending toward closer association.

Alfaro summed up in synthesis the ideology of Pan-Americanism saying that "the significance of the solidarity of the Americas is that a great continent by the will of two hundred and fifty million people is a land devoted to political freedom whose system is cooperation, and whose supreme aspiration is to consolidate the reign of justice and good will upon the face of the earth."