Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

FINLEY, BOCK ADVISE '41 ON CONCENTRATION

SEE REAL OBJECT AS LEARNING "NEW WAY OF LIFE"

Nine hundred Yardlings were warned against using future vocations as criteria for picking a field of concentration by Dr. Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, and John H. Finley '25, assistant professor of Latin and Greek Saturday morning.

Giving the Freshmen additional advice before they handed in their concentration cards, due Friday, March 18, Dr. Bock spoke after preliminary remarks by Dean Hanford. The latter cited cases in the Law School where students who had not specialized in law studies did better than those who had concentrated in legal courses before entering the School.

"New Way of Living"

First speaker Dr. Bock cautioned the Yardling against going through the University with the idea of making more money afterwards, and said that the College's real offer was the learning of "a new way of living." It is the individual abilities and interests, he said, that are the real reasons for choosing a field of concentration.

Speaking of doctors, he said that they are often accused of being narrow-minded, but claimed that the remedy for this situation was for a prospective doctor to take a non-medical specialization in college. In a more general vein, Dr. Bock mentioned that men would have to work hard to get real worth of their college course--that it took a ton of raw material to give an ounce of pure gold.