VOTE REFORM MEN ASK THAT COUNCIL VOID NOMINATIONS

Group Opposes Method of Election by Which Candidate with a Small Vote Majority Is Declared Winner

Purposing "to give the Senior Class a chance to decide what changes it wants," the recently organized Committee for Electoral Reform issued a statement last night in which it demanded "that the Student Council void all nominations, howsoever made, for the coming class elections."

The committee began yesterday to circulate a petition in the seven Houses and Dudley Hall asking, beside that nominations be voided: "That the Student Council call a convention of the Senior Class and turn over to it all matters pertaining to the nomination and election of class officers and all other matters affecting the class which the convention may desire to take up."

Also on the petition is the item: "That the President of the Student Council and a person selected by the Committee for Electoral Reform constitute a committee of two to appoint a temporary chairman of the convention to preside until the convention shall elect a chairman."

Statement issued

Understood to be growing in numbers, sympathizers with the Committee for Electoral Reform approached the body with numerous queries over the weekend. In response to these queries Committee leaders issued a statement clarifying their objections to the present Senior Election scheme.

The statement announces that the Committee is "strenuously opposed to the submission of any question in the manner used in the recent instance of the Senior Class constitution."

Perhaps most radical change suggested in the statement is the declaration that "we oppose a method of election whereby a candidate with a slight margin, frequently one or two votes, is declared elected even though he has polled nothing resembling a majority of the votes cast."