GEORGE DOWNING STARS IN UNIVERSITY MEET

Puts Shot 46 Ft., 8 In. as Others Excel In Handicap Meet--880 Duel Brings Good Time

Saturday's University Handicap Meet in the Stadium was a day for the underdog, for only four men without the benefit of handicaps gained first places. With the advantage of handicaps the unfavored dominated the fifteen events.

The outstanding performance of the day was George Downing's shot put of 46 feet 8 inches which outdistanced the field desipte the lack of a handicap. John Herrick, also of the Varsity team and without a handicap, won first place in the discus. His distance was 149 ft. 9 inches.

Sorlein Takes 220

Sparks Sorlein '38 also held off all handicap-hippers in the 220. His time 22.2s, was better than could do the two other scratch men, Torbert MacDonald '40 and Tudor Richards '38 who placed second and third. Freshman Don Donahue beat Mason Fernald '40 in the 220 low hurdles who started at scratch with him. His time was 24.9s. Fernald, however, had had his victory in the high hurdles which he covered in the good time of 15.2s.

Close Half Mile

One of the most exciting races of the afternoon was a half mile duel between Al Hanlon '39 and Rollo Campbell '41. Though Joe Donnelly '40 won the race with a fifty yard handicap to his benefit Hanlon and Campbell were the focal point when they ran abreast down the back stretch, Hanlon in the last few yards edging out Campbell. Hanlon's time was 1 minute, 57.3 seconds.