UNIVERSITY APPOINTS FIVE JUNIOR FELLOWS

ONLY SIMILAR RESEARCH GRANTS AT CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND

Five young men, selected for their promise of notable contribution to knowledge and thought, will join the Society of Fellows at Harvard University next September as Junior Fellows, devoting themselves to independent research and study for three years at the expense of the University.

The new Fellows are Ferdinand E. Cranz, of Pleasantville, N. Y.; John D. Ferry, of Rogue River, Ore.; James G. Miller '37 of Lakewood, O.; Talbot H. Waterman, '36 of East Orange, N. J.; and Robert B. Woodward, of Quincy.

In addition, Ivan A. Getting, of Pittsburgh, Pa., and David T. Griggs, of Chevy Chase, Md., who have been Junior Fellows for the past three years, have been reelected to a second term of three years. Getting's field is physics and astronomy, and Griggs' is geology and physics.

This makes a total of thirty-six young men from various colleges who have been appointed Junior Fellows at Harvard since the founding of the Society in 1933. The nearest existing approach to the Harvard Society of Fellows is found at some of the English colleges, especially at Trinity, Cambridge, where similar prize fellowships for unrestricted research and study have produced a great number of distinguished men.