EVERYBODY LOVES A PARADE

Today is Army Day for Harvard, and the R.O. T.C. Field Artillery men will put on their show on Soldiers Field with the usual military fanfare of uniforms, martial music, and even gun firing, although this will be restricted to pistol shooting and shelling from the miniature trainer guns.

It is very significant that a large peace meeting and a large Army gathering should take place here each spring. It shows first that the University offers both sides of the question. Beyond this, however, it means that the students themselves are not quite sure of the answer to the question of preparedness for war or militant pacifism. Perhaps it is worthy of note that many of the students who will drill today were leaders in the peace movement a few weeks ago. A Freshman Military Science officer, for example, is vice-president of the Peace Society.

Many of the men who attended the peace meeting and then voted in favor of the Nyc-Kvale bill to abolish compulsory R.O.T.C. are probably in favor of a voluntary R.O.T.C. Such a unit is Harvard's, and it is to be hoped that it will always remain so.