Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

'41 P.B.H. WORKERS HEAR HEAD OF PAROLE BOARD

Major Robart Tells of Need of Trained Sociologists in Penal Work; Dennett Also Speaks at Dinner

"Two thirds of the state budget in normal times goes for penal and mental institutions," Major Robart, Chairman of the State Parole Board, told 40 P. B. H. Freshman social service workers at a banquet in the Union last night.

The veteran Boy Scout leader and Cambridge School Committee members stressed the need for organized play and for trained sociologists and psychiatrists in preventing crime and juvenile delinquency.

In discussing the situation in Massachusetts, Robart explained that the parole board enjoys complete independence from "political influence," and uses objective and scientific methods in granting paroles. "Each case is studied by a sociologist, a psychiatrist, a psychologist, and a doctor," he said.

Raymond G. Dennet '36, 2G, Graduate Secretary of P. B. H., emphasized the value of social service in getting Harvard men "out of their ivory tower." Robert B. Russell '41 of the Social Service Committee introduced the speakers.