"DARTMOUTH" DAMPER

That freedom of the college press involves responsibility to the student and official community has been crystallized by recent events at Dartmouth College. In a report issued Monday a representative committee on student publications indicated the only daily newspaper of Hanover on two counts--first, that it did not reflect college opinion and, second, that its business management was irresponsible. As a remedy the committee suggested that an alumni trustee be appointed to advise the editorial and business staffs.

Although the Dartmouth newspaper should by all means have complete independence, it is nevertheless apparent that it must recognize its monopoly over the daily opinions of its subscribers and maintain a position of dignity and impartiality. All college dailies should remember the fact that they are only temporarily in charge of what may be termed a community enterprise and that their value depends upon support from the students and cooperation with the administration of the college.