SUMMER SCHOOL WILL GIVE DRAMA TRAINING

BROWN, PACKARD, MINTER OF YALE TO TEACH GROUP

With the decision to produce a play written by a student in the Playwriting course, the Summer School will duplicate in its course the aims of the 47 Workshop, famous training school for actors, producers, and playwrights.

"Vengeance in Leka," described as a "bloodthirsty one-act play", written by Wycliff McCracken, student last summer under John Mason Brown '23 in the Summer School will be produced by students studying acting, stage management, and play writing.

According to Frederick C. Packard, assistant professor of Public Speaking, this conforms with George Pierce Baker's second principle: to give student playwrights a chance to see whether their works put across their ideas.

The 47 Workshop was a graduate course here, English 47, taught by Professor Baker '87 until 1925. In that year, discouraged by the continued refusal of the Corporation to grant him a theatre, and attracted by Yale's co-operation, Baker and his course migrated to New Haven.

Mr. Brown, dramatic critic of the New York Post, will teach "Playwriting," discussing the essentials of plot, dialogue, characterization, action, and climax, as well as the forms of tragedy and comedy. He will also give a course on the "History of the Modern Theatre."

Under Packard the men and women students will learn dramatic interpretation and vocal expression, as well as the principles of stage action. Rehearsals will be held with Shakespearian scenes as models.

"The Theory and Practice of Play Production" is the course of Gordon Minter, of Yale.