Deen Sperry Proposes Church Grouping Into "Congregation"

"Memorial Church Congregation" Will Not Conflict with Usual Affiliations

Dean Sperry announced yesterday a new plan of Memorial Church reorganization, which will bind the congregation closer to the Church in spirit and in action.

In the pamphlets on this subject which were placed on the pews this Sunday, Dean Sperry wrote: "I have felt for a long time that you (members of the congregation) are compelled, under existing conditions to be much too silent and passive in your relations to the conduct of our affairs. There ought to be some means for the expression of your opinion as to the whole manner and content of our church life."

To remedy this situation he proposes "The Memorial Church Congregation," an organization which would hold itself ready to meet "once or twice a year, and which would elect representatives who could meet with me more often to share in the formulation of policies."

He still feels that "after consulting with college chaplains in charge of such churches elsewhere, and after reviewing our own situation here, I am persuaded we shall be better advised to remain a congregation rather than to attempt to become formally a church."

"If these suggestions commend themselves to you," says Dean Sperry, "my suggestion is that a meeting should be convened early in the academic year 1938-39, to go over the matters I mention and such others as may suggest themselves to you." He expects to have the suggestion debated during the rest of this year with definite action coming in a meeting to be held sometime in October.