‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

Suppression of civil liberties as found in Jersey City gave the state of New Jersey an evil enough reputation without the recent outburst of repressive tactics in Newark. When Norman Thomas, Socialist leader, underwent a barrage of rotten eggs and ripe fruit Saturday night as he was about to speak against the policies of Mayor Hague, it was apparent that Hague's tactics had spread to the constituency of neighbor Mayor Ellenstein. "I watched this disturbance for ten minutes and at any time the police could have broken it up," said Mr. Thomas, and his charge is a serious one. Deplorable enough were the hoodlums who caused the riot and the War veterans who tried in vain to cancel Mr. Thomas's speaking permit, but when responsible police officers apparently acted in collusion with the mob, it may be assumed that Haguism had made an impression on Newark's public officials.

Hague and Jersey City form a political curiosity which may be observed with scientific interest from afar; similarly, Huey Long's reign in Louisiana excited national attention. They are isolated cases, but when Mayor Hague's bullying methods spread to Newark, the time has come to view with alarm. Perhaps the growing emulation of Hague is nor surprising in view of Mr. Thomas's indictment of Governor Moore as "only Hague's Charlie McCarthy." In any, case the isolated curiosity must be checked before its "tyranny in the guise of patriotism" becomes a vogue in American municipalities. Just as the Hague slogans displayed at the Newark riot read "Let All Russian Radicals and Foreigners Go Back to Russia," let Mayor Hague's inimitable style of patriotism be restricted to Germany and Italy, where it now flourishes.