Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

FACULTY MEMBERS SIGN PROTEST OF MASS. RED REPORT

Say Approval from Jersey City Mayor Indicates True Nature--Committee Was Prejudiced"

Seven members of the Faculty are among the signers of a protest to the Massachusetts Legislature slamming the report of that body's commission on subversive activities as "an apology for fascism," it was announced last night. The protest will be read at the State House this morning.

The signers declare that the commission's indiscriminate condemnation of socially-minded religious and educational leaders insults the intelligence and patriotism of all fair-minded citizens."

A total of fifty names are attached to the statement, including Henry J. Cadbury, professor of Theology, Dean Cary, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, David W. Prall, associate professor of Philosophy, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Ernest J. Simmons, assistant professor of English, and Paul M. Sweezy '31, instructor in Economics. Excerpts from the protest follow:

"It appears from the newspaper accounts (the official report not having yet been made available) that this Report is practically an apology for fascism, and is the logical outcome of the committee's whole prejudiced procedure.

"The whole-hearted support given by the notorious Mayor of jersey city to this report . . . indicates from what quarters it evokes approbation. . . . This report is intended to divert the public attention from the grave dangers confronting democracy in Massachusetts."