1005 Freshmen to Enter September 23d As Harvard's 303d Season Begins With Smallest First Class in Several Years

34 National Scholars Head List of 243 Academic Awards for Class of 1942

PRESIDENT SCALES PEAK

President Conant '14, made news this summer by taking a trip to Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada, and indulging in mountain climbing.

Starting from a high-altitude camp at 10,000 feet, the President was one of a party which scaled North Twin, 12,085 feet high, third highest peak in the Canadian Rockies.

From Texas and Tennessee, California and Connecticut, Indiana and Iowa, from nearly every state 1000 Freshmen are preparing to flock into Cambridge on Friday, September 23 and register as the Class of 1942.

Beginning the 303rd season of Harvard, these men, with an average age of just 18, will step into Memorial Hall, sign their names a dozen times, and step out holding in their hands four years of future Harvard history.

With 1005 names now on Dean Leighton's list, indications are that the number of Freshmen who will register may be considerably less than any class in recent years. Last year at this point the entries amounted to 1030, which figure was somewhat smaller than that of 1936. Largest on record was 1932, in its Freshman year 1117 strong.

Conant's Speeches

Official explanation of this downward tendency is not forthcoming from University Hall, but it is believed that President Conant's speeches last spring in favor of limiting college enrollments may have had some application at home. But because of the restriction of the Freshman Class to 1000 by Corporation rule, registration cannot vary more than slightly in any year.

Geographically, the new class coming to Cambridge this fall originates mostly

from Eastern states, especially Massachusetts, with a block from the Midwest and a smattering from the rest of the Union and almost every part of the world. Academically, 1942 will be led by 34 National Scholars entering from 15 different states. In addition, 209 other scholarships have already been awarded to incoming Freshmen.

Football Practice Thursday

First College appointment will be Freshman football practice at 8 o'clock on Thursday, September 23. All men who arrive earlier can draw equipment the day before. Dormitories may be occupied as early as September 16. Registration begins at 10 o'clock the morning of September 23 and closes at 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

In the evening at 6:30 o'clock there is a buffet supper for Freshmen at the Union and a reception afterwards for the Class. Saturday the entire Class must convene in New Lecture Hall for an academic meeting Conferences with Faculty Advisers will be held immediately folowing. That night speakers will address Freshman in the Union, and on Saturday, Phillips Brooks House holds its annual tea of welcome