Several Faculty Men Will Instruct Local Adults in Studies and Hobbies

"Center for Adult Education" Will Open Friday: No Exams, Grades, or Recitations

Beginning Friday night adult men and women of Cambridge and vicinity may take advantage of informal study and hobby courses to be offered by the Cambridge Center for Adult Education. On the faculty of this school will be four members of the Harvard faculty.

William Y. Elliot, professor of Government; Charles A. Bliss, of the School of Business Administration; and Willi Apel, lecturer of Music, will hold groups for those interested in their respective subjects.

Opening Speakers

Kirtley F. Mather will speak at the opening ceremony Friday evening. Other speakers will be Harry A. Over-street, professor of Philosophy at the College of the City of New York, and author of the best selling books "Influencing Human Behavior" (1925), "About Ourselves" (1927), and "A Guide to Civilized Leisure" (1934), and Charles S. Bolster, of Cambridge, president of the new Center. While admission to this convocation is free, tickets should be secured in advance from the office in Brattle Hall.

Subjects to be offered in the ten week fall term, beginning Monday, October 3, will include amateur photography, creative writing, speech training, elements of music, government and industry, current business problems, psychology, variety crafts, modern books, vocabulary building, and conversational French and German. There will also be a "Little Theatre" group giving plays. Courses meet once a week at 6:15 or 7:30 o'clock.

No Exams, Grades

A marked feature of this Center is the fact that all ordinary school machinery is done away with. There are no entrance requirements, no marks, no examinations, and no recitations. Courses are conducted entirely by informal discussion between the leader and the adults.

The Center is a non-profit organization established last spring by the Cambridge Social Union with the assistance of the five-year old Boston Center for Adult Education, which has become one of the most successful educational centers in Boston, having an enrollment of over 3000 persons.