Harlow Eases Off For Year's Opener With Bruin Team

Very Light Practice Is Listed for Today-Some of the Boys Have Bible Exams

By Cleveland Amory

A 30-minute full-speed dummy scrimmage a long forward passing drill, some kicking under pressure, and the 1938 Varsity football team was ready for the invasion of the Brown cohorts tomorrow.

True, there will be practice today, but only a half hour's kicking drill in the stadium and some tossing the ball around is carded. For one thing, Coach Harlow feels that his club is all set, For another, there is a group of five of the boys who must attempt such mundane pursuits as taking Bible and Shakespeare exams this afternoon.

Harding, Wilson Look Definite

The starting positions for tomorrow's clash are as good as definite now, although Harlow said yesterday that he will now know about Foley or Harding at tailback or Boston or Wilson at blocking back until game time. In spite of this, the odds are heavily in favor of Harding and Wilson answering the whistle.

Frank Foley has missed a whole week of scrimmaging and was only ready for contact work this Tuesday; that alone is enough to make Harding seem a certainty. Also, in yesterday's drill Harding found himself in the "A" backfield almost all the time, and his forward passing was easily the outstanding feature of the practice.

Burnett, Smith Should Be Busy

Cliff Wilson also was among the "As" almost constantly. You can count on the fingers of one hand the games in which Wilson has missed the gong, and this one does not give evidence of being one count. Chief Boston, however, will see plenty of action before the day is done, as will other "B" backs like wingback Bob Burnett and bucking back Ben Smith.

Bucker Mike Cohen and flash Torby Macdonald are held sure starters, and the line is complete, with Bob Green and Don Daughters at end, Tom Healey and Ken Booth at tackle, Nick Mellen and Dave Glueck at guard, and Tim Russell at center. Bill Coleman, at right guard, and Win Jameson, at right end, are two other linemen who would seem to have a fair amount of business before the sun sinks behind the Stadium.

Bus From Providence

Coach Tuss McLaughry will bring his Brown boys to Cambridge by bus tomorrow morning, so we will have to finesse the usual day-before color story of the enemy arriving today, working out in the Stadium, and camping in the shady retreat of some nearby school.

Perhaps the most interesting man to watch among the enemy tomorrow is none other than the running back son of the Bruin Coach, little McLaughry, Jr. Austen Lake has called him "a lean, strapping 197-pounder with the same angular put-together and legginess of his sire, though swarthier in complexion and a brunet in place of his dad's blondness." That's quite a mouthful, but then this boy will have to be good, for the Bear ends are only fair, and the rest of the Bear line is going to have quite an afternoon tomorrow