SKIERS TRAIN FOR SEASON IN CANADA

Hinton, Winship, Thomas, Team Nucleus; Porges, Austrian Newcomer Is Also Impressive

The Harvard ski squad, headed by Captain Bill Hinton, held a training period at St. Sauveur, Canada, from December 26 to January 3, in which practice in jumping, slalom, downhill, cross country was held daily.

In several of the practice slaloms, a newcomer, Carl Porges '42 of Austria turned in several top times, while Thomas Winship '42, and Berrion Anderson '42 may shape up as jumpers. Three cross country races were held, one a 25 mile all they conditioning run.

On the basis of these and other showings a combined jumping-cross country team of Hinton, Alfred Eipper '42, and Richard Whittemore '40 been tentatively picked.

Enter Annual Races

On New Years Day members of the squad entered the St. Sauveur Annual Slalom and Downhill races individually. Second in the downhill was Tom Thomas '41 Whose Class B time bettered that of Hinton in Class A. Outstanding also was Winship who ranked fifth in Class B. As a whole the Harvardians showed up fairly well against their McGill competitors. In the slalom, restricted to the first ten in each class of the downhill, Hinton, Winship and Thomas turned in creditable times.

Next Sunday, January 8, all undergraduates are invited to enter the Annual Harvard Downhill Race, held this year on the John Sherburno Trail at Pinkham Notch, It is sanctioned by the United States Eastern Amateur Ski Association, but there will be no class distinctions. The Sherburne, trail is wide and looks fairly easy, nonetheless frequent bottle-necks and a rutty surface make it a test of Intermediate ability. Only the bottom mile and a half will be raced.

All entries should be made at Leavitt and Pierce not later than 12 o'clock noon today on the blanks which are available. Contestants will meet at the bottom of the trail at 10 o'clock Sunday morning for numerals.

On Sunday afternoon, another race, also sanctioned, will be run on the famous Wildcat Trail, the results being used for the awarding of downhill classifications by the Eastern Amateur Ski Association.

Members of the squad will hold runs from Hinton's room at five o'clock every afternoon beginning next Monday.