RUMOR OF NEW JOB SPIKED BY HARLOW

Racks Heiden and Summers Impressive In Scrimmage--Three More Promoted To Red Squad

By Joseph P. Lyford

Recently published "rumor" stories to the effect that Dick Harlow might be considering a change of coaching scenery were quietly spiked yesterday by the genial Crimson grid mentor, who let it be known that any such tales were totally without foundation. A story in a New York daily stated yesterday that Harlow was seriously thinking of accepting an offer of the posts of athletic director and football coach from the University of Maryland.

The rumor brings to mind the fact that for years sportswriters with active imaginations have been turning out similar epics describing Harlow's proposed odysseys to various and sundry other universities who have sought his services as football coach.

Three Promoted to Reds

On the practice field yesterday, all went smoothly, with Captain Torbie Macdonald participating in his first signal drill since suffering an ankle injury over a week ago. The A and B teams scrimmaged for 40 minutes against the Jayvees, with wingbacks Greeley Summers and George Helden running well.

Three more men were promoted to the Red squad, bringing the total to 33 players. Those elevated were Summers, Tom Lacey, husky guard, and Hank Vander Eb, back. Of this squad of 33, thirty will make the trip to Chicago on Thursday.

Vander Eb has looked very capable back at his old post as a blocker, and his promotion to the Red squad presages a spirited battle with Frazier Curtis for the first reserve blocking back slot. Another nip-and-tuck contest for starting honors Saturday is continuing between Don Lowry and Chub Peabody.

Tom Gardiner, playing right tackle on the B team, received a hard jolt in scrimmage, but the bump was not of a serious nature.

Lyman-Ayree Duel Looms

In the B team line, the switch of Ted Lyman, last year's Freshman captain, from blocking back to center has bolstered the center position considerably. Lyman and Grover alternated in the scrimmage. Ayres' 60-minute play convinced Harlow that he would need more reserve material to case the burden on his pivotman. It is possible that if Lyman shows substantial improvement, he will seriously threaten Ayres' possession of the center post.

Another Bates game starter may yield his starting place against the Maroons in the battle at right end. Bart Kelly has shown a slight edge over Devine in practice this week, and may get the call.

A team: MacKinney, l.e.; Miller, l.t.; Lowry, l.g.; Ayres, c.; Sargeant, r.g.; Healey, r.t.; Devine, r.e.; Coleman, q.b.; Lee, l.h.b.; Heiden, r.h.b.; Spreyer, f.b.

B team: Downing, l.e.; Elser, l.t.; Peabody, l.g.; Lyman and Grover, c.; Pfister, r.g.; Hallett and Gardiner, r.t.; Haydock, r.e.; Curtis and Vander Eb, q.b.; Buckley, l.h.b.; Summers, r.h.b.; Brown and James, f.b