Harvard Junior Killed on Syracuse Railroad Track

WAS PREVIOUSLY FINED FOR TRAIN-HOPPING

Reguar Edward Bird, Eliot House Junior who left Cambridge early Wednesday morning to ride brake rods west to the Harvard-Chicago game, was found dead yesterday on the New York Central tracks near Syracuse, New York.

A coroner's inquest found that he had met "accidental death" when he was either knocked from a moving freight car as it went under an under pass or was struck down by a train as he picked his way along the ties. His home was in Hartford, Connecticut.

Although Bird was offered an automobile ride to Chicago, he passed it up in favor of riding the rails. College friends last night said that Bird had made a hobby of traveling this way, and had covered large parts of the South in box cars.

On Tuesday night Bird went to the Boston railroad yards to look the ground over and found that, unlike the South, New England box cars are kept locked; consequently he was forced to ride on top or beneath the car.

Undeterred, he norrowed ten dollars from a friend and left early the next morning. In Minea, New York, on Wednesday, he was arrested by railroad police. Before a justice of the peace be paid a two dollar fine and promised that he would steal no more rides.

Active at Harvard

The widely acquainted Junior was an Economics concentrator and worked for Phillips Brooks House. He also ran the news stand in Eliot House, and held on outside job.

Before he came to Harvard, Bird attended the Kingswood School in West Hartford, Connecticut. Last winter he served on a Student Council committee which investigated the problem of how men are admitted to the Houses.

Bird was an accomplished oarsman who spent considerable time under the tutelage of rowing mentors Harvey Love and Tom Bolles at the Newell Boat House.