Sophomore Steals Out of Stillman to Stymie Scribbler

Strong Arm Squad Awaits Brill's Summons to Pounce Upon J. P. Marquand

Released on the promise that he would return "after keeping an extremely important appointment" in the afternoon, Richard Llewelyn Brill '42, of New York and Adams House, had the nurses at Stillman worried when he failed to reappear yesterday.

Brill gained notoriety last year as the host to several score undergraduates at a series of "Afternoons for Tannin Tipplers." Chief feature of the teas was a tirade against J. P. Marquand '14, who, as author of the best-selling novel, "Wickford Point," which intimately sketched "The Brills," a decadent New England family, was the arch-enemy of the Sophomore's parents and grand-parents.

"I know he wasn't going to come back when he was reading the morning papers that day," declared a ward mate of Brill's, who has requested that his name be withheld. "He kept muttering 'He shouldn't be allowed in Boston,' after he had seen a notice that J. P. Marquand was to appear at the Book Fair of the Boston Herald-Traveler."

Hot blooded Brill, infuriated at the slur on his name and "family seat at the Point", often was sent into an uncontrollable rage. It was well known that he had vowed to get retribution the next time the "slanderer," as he put it, was in the vicinity. When interviewed recently he admitted that he had never read "Wickford Point." "Grandfather wouldn't permit it in the house," he snorted.

Marc H. Jaffe '42, Brill's roommate, said that several football players who had been prominent at the teas the year before were waiting for Brill in his rooms the afternoon he was paroled from Stillman. "He called us from the infirmary; he was going to need us 'for a little job'," one of them had told Jaffe.

A call to the Traveler Book Fair office revealed that a "red haired Harvard" had called on Mr. Marquand and had said he would wait when he was told that the author would not be in Boston until Tuesday. It was not revealed where he was waiting.