HISTORY I MAKES SECOND MOVE ON TUTORING OUTLINES

Course Will Examine Students' Notes To See If They Are Adequate; Staff Warns Against Compression

After examining this year's crop of tutoring notes, the staff of History I has made its second move against the tutoring school notes in issuing yesterday a statement condemning notes on specific grounds.

The most specific fault History I finds with commercial tutoring notes is "the general failure to keep abreast of the changes in the reading of the course." In order to check up on whether students are taking adequate notes this year, the course has required its students to hand in their notes for examination and marking.

Warns Against Arbitrary Compression

"Even more frequent and more dangerous because less obvious, are the subtle misconception and misinterpretation of specific ideas arising from hasty, careless, and arbitrary compression in these notes," the History I staff warned.

The statement also warned that the notes, because of their, brevity, do not give the student the correct interpretation of a mass of facts. "The upshot of this treatment is that the notes are too incomplete to reproduce the essential reading, too long to be effective for rapid review, and too brief to deal with the vital interpretation."

The History I instructors point out that the notes are vulnerable "on purely intellectual grounds." The staff describes the use of notes as "mere memorization of material" which produces no original thought and seriously affects the grades of their users.

According to the instructors, an essay which is written on tutoring school material can be definitely classified as being of much lower quality than those that are written on material based on individual research.