PILOT COURSE EXPECTS ENROLLMENT INCREASE

GOVERNMENT LIMITED TRAINING PROGRAM TO 50

To take care of the large number of students who have applied for the Civil Aeronautics Authority's Pilot Training Program here, the University expects an increase of about 30 men in the course's enrollment quota, it was announced yesterday.

With a blanket Federal regulation limiting the total enrollment of flight training courses in colleges throughout the country to 50 men, Harvard has been forced to turn away most of the 135 who are eligible for the instruction.

Petition Government Monday

Piloting instructors will contact the 135 eligible men today to find out how many of them are still interested in taking the training. The petition will be sent to Washington Monday.

"We have men have who are particularly qualified to teach the various subjects required in the Training Program," William Bollay, instructor in Applied Mechanics and head of the Program, said last night., "In that respect we have an advantage over the other colleges."

Believes Increase Likely

"I think we have a good chance of obtaining the increase in the quota because many of the smaller colleges have been unable to fill their courses," Bollay added.

Despite the limitation of 50 men, 75 are now taking the ground courses and have been given Pilot Training certificates in the hope that the Government will grant the increase.

Of the 50 men who were originally accepted for the Pilot Training; 10 have already dropped out, and instructors in the course expect to lose a few more before training with dual control begins.