Use of English Committee Flooded by Foreigners With Language Problems

Dudley Cloud Reports Increased Activity of Bureau Teaching English Usage

Troubled political conditions in the world have brought a host of foreign students to the Committee on the Use of English this year, according to Dudley H. Cloud, Secretary to the Committee.

In past years Cloud and the Committee have had only about four or five struggling foreigners requesting aid for their English, but this year the number has grown to twenty. These students come from the Far East, Europe, and South America.

"Some are in the kindergarten stage and others are extremely advanced; all are serious in their work. The difficulties of a Chinese studying German in a class conducted in English are terrific," Cloud points out.

Because of the varied nationalities and languages of his students, he can not give group courses in English. Cloud had to adopt the system of giving individual instruction to each foreigner. Coupled with a 100 per cent increase in American students who have been reported for faulty English this year, this new influx of foreigners into Holyoko 18 has produced great activity for the Committee.

Because of the experience of the Committee during the past few years. All transfer students are required to take the anticipatory examination for English A. The Committee has found that despite the satisfactory scholastic records of the transforms, many of them have trouble with the language.

According to the Committee figures seven of the ten students who had escaped English A and were reported for faulty English, had transferred from some other institution.