WHEN THE HURLY-BURLY'S DONE

After a round million words of debate, the Senate has finally come to the point: it has repealed the arms embargo. Everyone, repealist and anti-repealist alike, must be glad that a final decision has been reached, for it has been obvious from the start that the Administration had the votes. Further debate could only serve to keep the pot boiling, and the minds of the people in confusion. It was an issue that must have disturbed those who gave it only casual attention. On first sight, both sides seemed to be right, and only those who gave the matter careful thought could satisfy themselves that repeal was the best course.

With the hurly-burly of the debate over, the leaders of the nation must settle down to the ordinary, day-by-day brand of neutrality. The decisions that will have to be made may not be as spectacular as the arms embargo repeal, but they will be of enormous cumulative effect. Negotiations with belligerents over our neutral rights, though they may be countless in number and picayune in detail, nevertheless set up precedents by which great decisions are made. It is essential that they be backed by a strong and consistent general policy. Likewise, the handling of our war trade with the belligerents is a herculcan job that may spell victory or defeat for our neutrality.

Few persons realize how greatly the cash-and-carry provisions of the Neutrality Act improve our position in comparison with the ticklish days of 1914-17. No longer will every sitting of a German prize court rouse the American people to a state of frenzy, for our ships will be kept out of dangerous seas. The "cash" ruling will enable the government to escape acting as a collection agency for big banks that loan money to the Allies. Unrestricted submarine warfare, the immediate occasion of our going to war against Germany in 1917, cannot now affect us. A good foundation for our neutrality has been laid; now comes the time to build the house.