Crimson to Open Last '42 News and Business Competition Tomorrow

Herald Approach of Extraordinary Sophomore Trials

A thorough training in the groundwork of journalism is available this week to Sophomores interested in competing for several vacancies on the CRIMSON News Board. In addition, the Business Board will hold a competition, also for second-year men, beginning tomorrow evening at 7:30 o'clock.

News stories about University happenings, features dealing with Harvard personalities and famous visitors, sports reporting, and the intricacies of editing a daily paper are among the activities occupying the day of the neophyte trying out in the news field. As the competition progresses, specialization of coverage is generally the rule, and goings on in labor, Cambridge politics, the Dean's office, and the like, are the daily concern of the candidates, each of whom becomes expert in his own field.

Because News competitions are rarely hold for other than Freshmen, the tryouts beginning tomorrow represent an unusual opportunity for '42 men who missed out last year.

Future tycoons of finance will find a solid foundation in CRIMSON Business Board work. The make-up of the paper, dealings with advertisers, copy-writing, and salesmanship are all within the province of the Business candidate, while at the same time valuable experience in selling oneself is part of the game.

Last Chance for '42

The coming competition is the last chance for Sophomores to compete for both Boards; accordingly, the editors of the CRIMSON issue a cordial invitation to any men who thrill to the sight of a big press churning out newsprint, to those who might grow to love the smell of printer's ink, to come to 14 Plympton Street tomorrow evening and see what's what