PROSPECTS ARE BRIGHT FOR DEACONS, PURITANS

LEVERETT, DUNSTER ALSO HAVE LARGE SQUADS

With a week's practice behind them, eight House football squads are rounding into shape for the first set of games tomorrow and Friday afternoons.

An average of around 25 men to a squad has turned out so far, with more expected when element weather arrives and when the entire list of Bible, Shakespeare, and Ancient Authors examinations have been completed.

Kirkland, which shaded out Winthrop by a narrow margin in first downs to win the coveted championship last year, is going to have another tough struggle with the Puritans this Fall. The Deacons have a squad of 32 while Winthrop has turned out 25 strong.

Puritan Stars Return

A long list of last year's stars have returned for Winthrop, including Sam Binnian, Puritan all-House guard last year; Ham Daughaday, Dick Eustis, and Bob Weller, of the second all-House team; and Ed Hindle, Jack Carpenter, Joe Pedon, and Phil Starr.

A list of Deacons almost as long are returning, headed by Dave Grey, all-House player; Earl Foster, second all-House selection; and Roy Moore, Olly Thompson, Norm Pulansky, and Jerry Hall. The game between the two teams is the last on the schedule, coming on November 8.

Leverett, Dunster Turn Out

Two other big squads are those of Leverett with 23 men and Dunster with 28. Adams has 18 while Lowell and Dudley have barely scraped together enough for a first team; Eliot has failed even in that particular.

Dunster's chief hope lies in Red Bailey, end and full-back of the all-House team last year, while the Bunnies are pinning their hopes on Harry Burgess, another of last year's all-stars.

Line Clark, peppy Bellboy center, who was chosen best in the House League last year, is the sparkplug of a Lowell team somewhat different from the championship eleven of two years ago.

Healey, Koufman Back

Dudley has Bill Healey and Joe Koufman, standbys from last year, while Leverett is depending on Harry Burgess, another of the all-House boys from last year. Eliot, headed by hoop-rolling Ed Reed, has not yet turned out a full team at any one practice, but 15 men have signed up to play.

Adams has four returning veterans, namely, Norm Uptegraff, Ham Williston, Lou Bachrach, and Bill Magruder.