Library Receives Valuable Gift From Thomas W. Lamont '92

Rare Collection of Books and Documents Given by Famous Morgan Partner

Thomas W. Lamont '92, a partner of J. P. Morgan in New York City, has presented to the Library a valuable collection of books and manuscripts relating to the Spanish Armada of 1588, library officials announced today. Lamont personally negotiated the purchase of this collection during his recent visit to England.

Contained in the collection are nine contemporary manuscripts and sixty-four books published in the half century following the great naval attack of King Philip II of Spain, on Queen Elizabeth's England, and its repulse by the British naval forces under Lord Howard.

The documents and books of Mr. Lamont's collection, a number of which are unique, "provide a picture of the summer of 1588 so vivid and so complete that the gift may well induce a reappraisal of the story of the Armada," the library staff reported.

Among the manuscripts in the gift are two fine contemporary copies of the English "Treatise of the Navy" by John Mountgomery, one dated 1574, and the other 1589. The former was especially transcribed for Henry Perey, the "Wizard" Earl of Northumberland, who served against the Armada.

Also included is a manuscript narrative of the expedition by one of the Spanish "Religioses," Bernard de Gongora, written on board the Armada, and sent back to Spain while the fleet was in the English Channel. There are signed documents showing the extent of Philip II's efforts and the organization of the English defence by the Lord High Admiral, Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham.

1670 Document

The earliest printed document is a copy of the Bull of Pope Plus V, excommunicating Queen Elizabeth, entitled "Regnans in excelsis," and published in 1570. This Bull provided "the bloody question" that doomed many Catholic martyrs in England.

In the collection also are several propaganda publications contemporary with the Armada, issued by both the English and the Spanish. There are eight editions of the famous "Mondoza Letter" written by Sir William Cecil. The Italian edition of the Letter contains for the first time the ironical reference to the "Invincible Armada."

Included are forty books printed in England before 1640 including the rare English translation of the "Orders given by the Duke de Medina Sidonia to be observed in the voyage towards England"; "The Holy Bull and Crusado of Rome," 1588; and the official account, written for the Lord High Admiral by Petruccio Ubaldini.

Phenomenal Success

Born 69 years ago, in Claverack, N. Y., Lamont attended Phillips Exeter Academy before entering Harvard as an undergraduate in 1888. He started work, after getting his A.B. degree, as a reporter on the New York Tribune, but soon entered the banking field, where his rise was phenomenal. In 1911 he joined the firm of J. P. Morgan & Co. and since then has served on the boards of many of the nation's largest corporations.

Besides showing an active interest in the doings of the University, Lamont served on the Board of Overseers from 1912 to 1925.