Puritans Snatch 2-0 Win From Lowell; Kirkland Overcomes Bunny Team 12-0

Deacons Overcomes Leverett by 12-0 as Puritans Edge Out Lowell 2-0

Scoring a safety with less than a minute to go in the last quarter, Winthrop's Puritans nosed out an under rated Lowell eleven yesterday 2-0 in the second set of games in the House football league.

Kirkland's experienced gridders overpowered Leverett 12-0, flashing a display of the smart, powerful football that won them the championship last year.

Lowell Line Stare

A strong Bellboy line turned back the Winthrop backs with few or no gains for three out of four quarters in their close content, and in the final quarter made two goal line stands, and in the end it was a fumble that robbed the Lowell team of a well deserved tie.

Winthrop took the ball to within the ten yard line twice in a fast, exciting last quarter, only to be turned back on the ground and in the air. Finally Lowell, with the time being reckoned in seconds, gained possession of the ball on the six yard line, only to fumble the ball behind the goal line.

Dean Morse and Mac Thurston were the standouts on the Lowell team while Phil Starr, Puritan passing threat, paced the Winthrop eleven.

Kirkland Intercepts Pass

Kirkland scored first near the end of the first quarter, when Jerry Hall intercepted a Bunny pass and carried the ball to the one yard line. Earl Foster plunged over for the point but the Deacons failed to convert.

The first play of the fourth quarter saw the second Kirkland score, as Roy Moore carried the ball on a wide end sweep for 20 yards to a touchdown. The kick for point failed again.

Leverett lacked power and experience in their first game of the year, and the Deacons margin in first downs was six to two.

Next Games Monday

Lowell meets Eliot and Adams plays Dudley on Monday afternoon. The Bellboys, after their performance yesterday, look like a better team than the Elephants, while Dudley is favored over Adams on the strength of her victory Thursday over Dunster.

Leverett and Winthrop, and Dunster and Kirkland play Tuesday.