NEW COURSE EXPLORES OLD TEACHING FIELDS

CRIMSON AND LAMPOON STUDIED FOR STUDENT IDEAS

Little-known fields will be explored in the new course, Sociology of Education, given by Edward Y. Hartshorne '33, instructor in Sociology, which will discuss the old Chinese and Hindu teaching institutions, about which only one authoritative sociological work has been written.

Most histories of education start with the Greek and Roman period and neglect the older systems, a study of which often proves invaluable, Hartshorne declared yesterday. "Max Weber, well-known sociologist and economist, is the only man I know who has written an authoritative comparative work on the subject."

The course, the purpose of which is to study the sociological relationship between the instructor and pupils, and their relationship to other social institutions, plans to take Harvard as a base and to discuss the processes of the University thoroughly.

Crimson and Lampoon Studied

"The CRIMSON and Lampoon will be studied as a means of tracing the changing trends of student opinion at Harvard during the last fifty years," Hartshorne said. One purpose of this study is to give the individual student a social insight into his own situation in the University and in society as a whole.

The club system here will undergo discussion, students being invited to give their opinions freely on the benefits of the system sociologically and the relation of the clubs to the University.

Finally the course plans to contrast Harvard with the Universities in Germany under the National Socialistic regime with respect to faculty turnover. Hartshorne is an authority on this subject, having written a book on it quite recently