PAN-AMERICAN PLAN SEEKS FEDERAL AID

UNIVERSITY APPROVES

Undergraduate and official University cooperation at a government conference in Washington today may pave the way for a definite system of scholarships to be established at Harvard for students from the Pan-American countries, it was learned last night.

The action comes after six months of intensive planning by the Committee for Latin-American Scholarships, formed to promote friendship and political solidarity between the United States and the republics of the western hemisphere.

Action in Washington

Dean George H. Chase '96 for the University and John P. Woods '40 for the committee left Cambridge yesterday for the meeting held under the sponsorship of the State Department. While they did not expect the Administration to offer immediate financial aid for the fellowships, the Harvard representatives felt that the groundwork would be laid for closer cultural relations among the American nations.

The undergraduate group began its activity last Spring with strong endorsements from President Roosevelt, Cordell Hull, and a host of public figures, Meeting in New Orleans in April, the Associated Harvard Clubs proposed a graduate committee to ralse funds for the project.

It was announced also last night that the University's approval of the scheme came after it was outlined to President Conant this fall. In issuing an appeal for four annual scholarships, a goal of $15,000 has been set to put the plan in motion. An unsolicited $1000 has already been pledged.

The student scholarship board includes: Ralph H. Cutler, Jr. '40, chairman; John L. Donnell '40; Arthur Iselin '40; Cyrus C. Marden '40; Walter Perkins '41; Donald McD. D. Thurber '40, and John P. Woods '40.