Japanese Apt to Drive Americans Out Of China While War Diverts British

Fairbank, Instructor in History, Urges More Aid to China to Check Japs

Because the British are occupied in the European War, American interests in the Far East are likely to be snipped off by the advancing Japanese, according to John K. Fairbank, instructor in History.

In an interview yesterday Fairbank described how our trade in China has always been dependent upon British sea power, a power which is rapidly diminishing in the Far East.

U. S. Policy Depends on Britain

"The British opened China to Western trade by force," he said. "We profited by their use of force. Our open door policy is essentially the British policy. Now that the French and British are unable to do much in China, we will have to implement by force the open door policy, or we will have to abandon it."

An authority on the Far Eastern situation, Fairbank said that the United States has no way of using direct force to protect its interest. The country has inadequate naval power in the Orient.

Urges Aid to China

He favors aid to the Chinese in their fight for independence. Loans to China should be renewed, and the Administration should exert pressure on munition manufacturers to stop sending supplies to Japan, he believes.

"Our interests lie in a balance of power between China and Japan so that we won't be endangered by Japanese expansion, because a strong and free China will preserve stability in the Orient." Fairbank asserted.

If the Japanese win their war, the United States will either have to withdraw its nationals from the Far East or be prepared to wage war, if necessary, to preserve their interests, he said.