Rejuvenated Squad Shows Improvement In Dropping Close Contest to Bengals

Peters' Kicks Are Disastrous But Crimson Bettles Up Fee In Last Half

By Sheffield West

The gloom clouds which have surrounded Harvard football for the past two weeks evaporated Saturday in the clear autumn air of Palmer Stadium. For it was a rejuvenated Crimson eleven which statistically played the powerful Tiger on equal terms for three quarters, losing 9-6.

In fact the margin of victory revolved on the superior and sensational kicking of Princeton's Bob Peters, who kept the Harvard offense beautifully boxed with coffin corner down deep in Crimson territory.

An of the Tiger scores came in the first period, during which nearly all the play transpired in Harvard's half of the field. Following one of Peter's kicks to the Crimson one yard line, Charlie Spreyer's attempted kick-out was blocked for a safety and two points.

From the 20, Spreyer free-kicked to Princeton, which, on a short series of ground gains, was back in scoring position. The touchdown tally resulted from a pass, Peters to Stanley, and a repetition of Penn and Dartmouth seemed inevitable.

Princeton Line Opens

But the reversal of the field with the quarter brought a reversal in Harvard play. Spreyer, George Heiden, and later Fran Lee ripped through the now sieve-like Princeton line. After Gene Lovett intercepted an Allerdice pass in the second period, Lee broke away for a 47-yard touchdown dash, and although Frazier Curtis failed to convert, Harvard stands continued their mad milling.

The scoreless nature of the second half might indicate a dull gridiron display, but the ball, the breaks, and scoring opportunities changed so swiftly that both stands were constantly brought to their feet.

Teams Even

Statistics show that the teams were even in number of first downs and yards gained by running. Princeton had a slight edge in passing although Allerdice was quite effectively checked by an improved and alert Harvard secondary. It was kicking that made the breaks, with the Crimson not only bottled by Peters' boot but set back by three blocked punts on Sprener.

Although Charley's kicking was disappointing, his running and passing were almost sensational, considering that Saturday was his first appearance that Saturday was his first appearance in the tailback berth, and it was Charley's two man block that paved the way for Lee's touchdown.

Ends Tackle Hard

Joe Gardella, and Burgy Ayres reached the defensive heights expected. However, the surprise came in the smashing tackling on the two ends, MacKinney and Lovett who wouldn't be fooled or bowled over.

Healey Great

Coach Dick Harlow was lavish in his praise of the improvement the Harvard squad had made. The Sophomores, of course, came in for a lion's share of the plandits, but it was Senior Tom Healey who was the apple of Dick's eye. Of Worcester Tom, he said, "the best game of tackle any Harvard boy has ever played for me".

Dick was quick to heap praise on the Tigers, both collectively and individually. He paid especial tribute to Captain Bob Tierney, Peters, and Jackson. Asked if the absence of Herring weakened the Orange and Black line and allowed the Crimson attack to function for the first time since Chicago, the Harvard mentor replied that most of Spreyer's and Helden's thrusts were directed at the guards, not the tackles